Tuesday 4 June 2013

GIRLS TOP TUTORIAL : THE "LOVE ME ORANGE TOP "

Though not perfect I am really proud of my latest achievement. It is as simple as breathing but it took me two hours (lol!)
Anyway let me share it with you:

I made it on Saturday June 1 2013.
The fabric used is cotton (we call it dacron and cotton) :

I got the two pieces of fabric (show below)  from a seamstress who obviously decided to abandon the project.

I decided to make a size  3T top.
My measurements used were :
CHEST 21
my aim is my top to have a finished length (including straps) of 15 1/2 inches

The fabric is actually a top gone bad. Its size is about 12 inches long starting from the cut neckline on the orange piece and about 12 inches wide) .






So, the first thing I did was even up my squares. I ended up with 12 x 12 squares
Then,  I sewed cut a piece of white about 2W x 24L .



Then, I sewed the orange pieces together and then stitched the white to the bottom.



Next, I folded the white to the wrong side of the orange fabric to cover the raw edges of the orange piece. So it should look like this when done.This added another 1 1/2 inches to the length.


I then stitched a one inch tube at the top of the blouse to fit in the elastic. remember to leave out a gap to insert the elastic through.
I then made straps one inch wide by 10 inches long when done. You can adjust the strap length so that it is
 3 -4 inches when stitched on.
I decided to be a little creative and add the strap on the outside of the top instead. I sewed a box just below the stitch line where i made the tube for the elastic. The straps were sewn 2 1/2 inches in from the border and one inch down from the top as demonstrated below. for the straps on the back I sewed them inside as normal(picture not show yet)


Sew the other side of the top together . You should now have this (front view)
Back view :

Cut the elastic one inch shorter than the chest measurement (i.e 20 inches) and insert elastic through the tube . Stitch the ends together and close your casing .



I recently started to learn how to applique - please ignore the wonky heart. But what I did was draw a heart shape on the paper side of the iron on interfacing then I placed my fabric on the shiny side. ironed it . Then I cut it out and stitched it on my top with a straight stitch.

And that's it!
 I don't have any children to fit it on to give you a better idea but I hope you have a little one to make one for and let me see how it looks.